A dog is man’s best friend. Dogs are wonderful companions. They exercise with us. They relax with us on the couch.
They even enjoy an occasional bite of our food at the table. You may think that spoiling your dog with human food is a treat for them, but it can actually be very dangerous.
Dogs are not humans, and it is not always best to feed them human food. It’s important to know which human foods are not best for your dog.
Here are some human foods that are toxic to dogs.
Chocolate, one of the most delectable human treats, is quite toxic to dogs.
Chocolate contains a substance called methylxanthine, which disrupts a dog’s metabolism.
Once ingested by the dog, chocolate can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, seizures, heart dysfunction and, in the worst case, death.
Some brands of chocolate are worse than others.
Dark chocolate is the most toxic because it contains the highest amounts of methylxanthines, while white chocolate is the least toxic.
Other foods containing methylxanthines that should not be consumed by dogs include coffee and caffeinated sodas.
Onions, Chives, Leeks, and Garlic
Onions, chives, leeks and garlic are all members of the Allium family of plants and are all toxic to dogs. Of all the plants, garlic is the most toxic to dogs.
If ingested, dogs can suffer from weakness, gastrointestinal problems, pale gums and an increased heart rate.
Consumption of foods from the Allium family of plants can also damage dogs’ red blood cells.
It should be noted that the effects of the toxicity of these foods may not be immediately apparent in dogs, and dog owners are advised to monitor their dogs for symptoms of poisoning if any of these foods are consumed.
It is best to keep all nuts away from dogs. All nuts produce oils and fats that can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
While not all nuts are toxic to dogs, some are. Never give your dog pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts.
Macadamia nuts are the most toxic nuts you can give your dog.
When consumed, these nuts can cause a multitude of health problems including vomiting, weakness, increased body temperature and inability to walk.
Avoid macadamia nuts at all costs.
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs.
Grapes and raisins contain an unknown substance that can cause kidney failure and liver damage in dogs.
Dogs are lactose intolerant, which means they do not produce the enzyme lactase that helps break down dairy products.
Feeding your dog a dairy product is sure to cause huge digestive problems and foul-smelling flatulence.
Letting your dog taste your ice cream cone is not a good idea.
Even if your dog begs you, it’s best not to share salty snacks with your dog.
Too much salt can cause sodium ion poisoning in dogs.
Signs that your dog has consumed too much salt include shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive thirst and urination and, in severe cases, death.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it needs to be mentioned.
Alcohol is not for dogs. Even the smallest amount of alcohol can cause severe reactions that can result in death.
Symptoms associated with alcohol poisoning in dogs include tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, coma, central nervous system disorders and death.
If you love your dog, keep open beer bottles out of reach.
Giving your dog human food is not a treat or a sign of love. In some cases, you could cause serious health problems and even death.
Show your dog that you love him by not giving him human food.